Concerns that you might come across now that we are welcoming Autumn!
Although we are all loving the coziness of the autumn weather, it is important we keep an eye open to common issues that our dogs might meet with now that Autumn is right in front of our noses. This blog is to help inform and create awareness to dog owners of the issues that your pooch might meet and how we can avoid them.
Conkers and Acorns –
To begin, we all recognize the Autumn weather when we see the leaves on the floor and the trees become bare. When we were kids, we used to play with conkers and rip apart their outer spiky shell and play with the ‘seed’ in the middle. This for humans is fun, but conkers are highly poisonous to dogs due to the toxins in the conker. The conker – a horse chestnut – is a large seed that when swallowed by a dog can block their stomachs. Not to mention the toxic chemical in the conkers called aesculin. This chemical is highly toxic to dogs and can have the following symptoms on dogs:
Dogs would normally vomit these out if eaten in high quantities. Although this may be the case, if you think that your dog has eaten conkers it might be worth reaching out to veterinary care. Vets will provide a controlled vomiting procedure to help push the process along quicker.
Another seasonal element that we all love finding this year is Acorns. Acorns contain an acidic formula or gallic and tannic acid with drives towards the kidneys. These acids are toxic to your four-legged friend and it can be dangerous to their health. The symptoms are very similar to the effects of conkers; drooling, vomiting and nausea.
- Diarrhea ( with or without blood )
- Abdominal discomfort
Ingested acorns can cause intestinal blockages and should be seen by a veternariary professional.
With the trees starting to lose their leaves, it is important to look out for Mushrooms. Mushrooms are a fungus that grows under damp circumstances, with the drizzly weather hovering over us with a mix of the muggy weather, the fungus is in their prime time to grow this time of the year. Although most mushrooms are 99% clear of toxicity it is better to be safe than sorry. The fungus can have life-changing problems on your dog and they are known to have substantial symptoms for your dog.
- Issues with standing (swaying)
- Issues walking
- Attempted Vomiting
Although mushrooms are such a tiny issue, a slight nibble can disturb your dog’s body and how they live. It is important to get in contact with your vets if you think your dog has taken a large number of mushrooms.
If your dog is notorious for eating things, Trixie provides a simple solution. The Bate Muzzle is a covering that goes over the mouth and stops them from picking things up and eating things.
For any more information, contact us on 019029494860 and we will gladly answer any questions. Or visit your local vets and they will also be happy to help!