Too much heat can be exhausting and dangerous. Whilst hot weather can encourage people to go outdoors, pets too, it is important to be aware of the effects of too much heat. The sun doesn’t have to be shining for it to be too hot for your pet.
Too much heat can cause:
- Drowsiness and Tiredness
- Breathing difficulties
All of which can become very fatal.
Let’s take action! Here are a few pet care tips:
- The fun doesn’t stop on a hot day – why not bring them indoors for playtime or even provide a paddling pool in the shade.
- With hot temperatures rising, make sure your pet’s cages are out of direct sunlight.
- A hot dog is an unhappy dog – ensure they have a fresh supply of air on any car journey – wind down the window and pop that aircon on! Never leave your pet in the car – hot temperatures can be fatal.
- Don’t have aircon? Not to worry. Open the windows and consider putting a fan on indoors – this will help reduce such a muggy atmosphere.
- Early morning and late evenings are the best times to take your pet for walks. Otherwise, hot floors can burn their paws.
- Be sure to top up or replace water – dogs need fresh water. Even add in some ice cubes to their water bowl to make it extra cold!
- Brush through your dog’s fur. Make sure that you brush through all tangles, a tangled coat will cover your pet’s skin – making it harder for them to cool down.
- Paws up! A good way to cool your pet down is by applying cold water to your pet’s paws. Either by spraying them or with a damp cloth.
Here is a shopping list of all summer and cooling products, that can protect your pet. Whether that be at home, or on the road.
- The Ancol Cooling Vest – Simply soak the coat in water, wring out the excess and the effects of the sun will dry the coat out and at the same time, the evaporating water will cool your dog’s skin.
- The Ancol Pet Cooling Mat – New pet cooling mat will help to reduce the temperature of a hot dog by 7°C. The core absorbs heat and changes from a solid to a liquid, it will cool your pet for several hours, much more efficient than gel mats commonly available.
- ProRep Pressure Spray – Keep your reptile’s vivarium humid with plenty of regular sprays. Not only will this help aid shedding and increase regular drinking habits, but it shall also improve skin condition and instinctual behaviors.
- Ancol Paws on Tour Car Window Sun Shade – Maximising the back seat comfort for your dog, simply sticking to your car window and instantly filtering in sunlight. Making the journey even more comfortable for your pet.
- Ancol ISOfix Seatbelt – Keeping your dog secure during the car journeys. The seatbelt clips into the seatbelt on the seat of your car. The seatbelt helps to keep your dog safe during car rides.