Red Claw Crab Fun Facts!
“I call it the crab pose well because I’m a crab”
A household aquarium can indeed be home to a tank of Red Claw Crabs. Red Claw Crabs are ideal for community tanks, home to fish that of similar sizes – An aquarium of various aquatic species is a feature worth watching…..
Let’s discover some interesting Red Claw Crab Fun Facts!
Did you know?
- Red Claw Crabs originate from the Continent of Asia
- They are aquatic species, however, they will alternate between living underwater and on land for air
- Red Claw Crabs don’t have a backbone (invertebrate animals)– they are known as Arthropods
- Did you know their shells are known as an exoskeleton which senses and protects them from predators
- These aquatic species shed their exoskeleton which allows them to grow and will hide in caves rocky crevices for a few days until their new shell hardens
- They can reach an optimum size of 10cm!
- Males have larger and brighter red claws and females have dark red claws which can be helpful when identifying the sex
- What’s on the menu? These aquatic crabs can eat both plants and protein also known as omnivore species – fishing for food? spinach, cucumber, brine shrimp, bloodworms and fish flake food will go down splendidly
- They even eat their own discarded exoskeleton which provides them with calcium.
- These species have an average lifespan of 3 to 4 year and can even live longer if cared for properly
“I’m mighty and strong”
Claw Crab squad!
Check out those crab moves!
Thinking of having a school of Red Claw Crabs? We have some available in store!